INTRODUCING...THE HAWAIIAN PIZZA SANDWICH
NOVEMBER 2020 – If you’re looking for a new idea for a speedy, tasty lunch then Jason’s Sourdough, artisanal craft bakers extraordinaire, and food blogger, Nicky Batchelor, have just the thing for you with this exciting twist on the much-loved Hawaiian Pizza.
Made with Jason’s Sourdough Ciabattin Beer soaked loaf and packed full of delicious mozzarella, cheddar, sliced ham or porchetta and diced chipotle pineapple relish, this toasted sandwich is a real game-changer.
Recipe created by Nicky Batchelor (batchout) in partnership with Jason’s Sourdough, available at M&S, RRP £1.80.
To make 2 Hawaiian Pizza Sandwiches you’ll need:
4 slices of Jason’s Sourdough Ciabattin Beer Soaked loaf
80g Mix of Mozzarella and Cheddar Cheese
4 slices of your favourite sliced ham or porchetta
For the chipotle pineapple relish:
A dash of olive oil
½ medium pineapple cut into small chunks
1 small shallot diced finely
½ - 1 teaspoon chipotle flakes, to taste.
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Juice from half a lime
20ml fresh pineapple juice
1 grated garlic clove
1 grated ginger (to the same amount as garlic)
2 tablespoons agave syrup
2 tablespoons brown sugar
20ml tequila – only if you fancy, of course!
A handful of coriander to garnish
- Fry the diced shallot in a medium size pan on a medium heat in oil until it starts to go translucent. Add in the pineapple chunks and stir.
- Fry off for a few minutes, and then add grated garlic and ginger, stirring for around a minute.
- Add in the chipotle flakes, ground cinnamon, agave syrup and brown sugar and cook off for another minute.
- Add in both the juice of lime and the pineapple and allow to simmer for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- If you fancy, add the tequila and leave to cook off for a minute or two.
- Season with more agave or sugar to taste if needed. You’ll know its ready when it’s golden in appearance and gloopy in texture.
- Leave to cool slightly, whilst in a new pan, griddle the ham/porchetta slices. Once lightly browned, put to the side.
- Lather the slices of Jason’s Craft Beer Ciabattin in your favourite butter and place in the middle of the pan on a medium heat.
- Start layering the four slices - starting with the cheese mix. Add the porchetta/ham slices and lather on the chipotle pineapple relish and add some chopped coriander in.
- Sandwich the slices together, and leave until the cheese has melted, then remove from the pan, slice in half and there you have it. Enjoy!